|The Golden Valley Railway traversed 19 miles of remote Herefordshire from Pontrilas to Hay-on-Wye. It opened in 1881-9. The line was never financially successful. It was kept going largely by the financial support of a few local landowners.
The line closed entirely in 1898, but was rescued by the GWR who purchased it and re-opened it in 1901. Regular passenger services lasted 40 years more.
· Chapter 1 - Promotion
· Chapter 2 - Construction
· Chapter 3 - A Costly Independence
· Chapter 4 - A Fresh Start
· Chapter 6 - Charlie Smiths Diary
· Chapter 5 - The Line Described
· Chapter 7 - The Final Years
By W H Smith
Softback. 274x216mm. 136 pages
247 black & white photographs