|Despite the fact that most of the Great Western's revenue came from its goods services, the subject is poorly represented in the historical railway press. Tony Atkins and David Hyde have therefore drawn on their considerable experience and knowledge of the subject to create this introductory volume, the first in a series that will cover all aspects of Great Western goods operations in depth.
This volume commences with a detailed historical overview of the goods scene from the very beginning to the end of the Great Western's existence, followed by studies of such facets as the company's canals, the Railway Clearing House, common carrier arrangements, economics, documents, and a brief analysis of traffic patterns. The work concludes with a detailed look at the company's Goods Districts and their work, together with an analysis of the traffic originating from or conveyed to each.
Future volumes will take up the story of cartage, goods shed operations, marshalling yards, freight train operations, special traffics and many other aspects, profusely supported by contemporary photographs and documents to illustrate the subject under discussion.
This long-overdue series will be an essential addition to every Great Western library.
· Chapter 1 - Historical Overview
· Chapter 2 - GWR Canals
· Chapter 3 - The Railway Clearing House
· Chapter 4 - Common Carrier
· Chapter 5 - The Economic State of the Railway 1914 - 1939
· Chapter 6 - Patterns of Traffic
· Chapter 7 - Service and Goods Documents
· Chapter 8 - The Goods Districts and their Work
· Appendix A - London District
· Appendix B - Reading District
· Appendix C - Bristol District
· Appendix D - Exeter District
· Appendix E - Plymouth District
· Appendix F - Gloucester District
· Appendix G - Traffic of the Constituent Companies in South Wales
· Appendix H - Newport District
· Appendix J - Cardiff District
· Appendix K - Swansea District
· Appendix L - Worcester District
· Appendix M - Birmingham District
· Appendix N - Shrewsbury District
· Appendix P - Central Wales District
· Appendix Q - Liverpool District
· Appendix R - Manchester District
· Appendix S - Ireland
· Acknowledgements and Bibliography
By Tony Atkins & David Hyde
215x275mm. 144 pages
85 black & white photographs